suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

The Naturals - Jennifer Lynn Barnes For this review & more, visit Such A Novel Idea!

Why You Should Buy It

The Naturals is everything I love about mystery television in a YA package. Criminal Minds meets Dexter meets Veronica Mars -- this creepy thriller will have you on the edge of the seat until the very end.

My Thoughts

*I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.*

I was a criminal justice/criminal psychology minor in college. I spent classes learning about serial killers, their patterns, behaviors, and profiling. These things were completely fascinating to me (I know, I'm weird), and continue to be so now. This is why I'm a mystery/thriller tv fanatic: Criminal Minds, Dexter, Law & Order: SVU... You get the picture. So when I saw the premise of this book, I knew I had to pick it up.

Now, don't get me wrong. The idea of a 17 year old being groomed by the FBI is weird. The fact that they don't send these kids to school to learn is a bit far-fetched. HOWEVER, if you can get passed this, the rest of the book is really great.

We go back and forth between the mind of a serial killer and our protagonist, 17 year old Cassie. Cassie was taught from a young age to 'profile' people and when her mother died at the hands of a killer, she is sent to live with family. Cassie never really felt like she belonged anywhere, so when she has the opportunity to be taught to hone her profiling skills by the FBI, she takes it.

The science behind profiling is really interesting to me, and the details Barnes uses in this book are consistent with what I learned in college (albeit a very low level of training mind you!) I think this really helped the authenticity of the book.

The story is fast-paced, well-written and will keep you guessing until the end. Even when you think you know what is going on, Barnes manages to pull one over on you (and Cassie a time or two!) There is a bit of a love triangle which really wasn't completely necessary, but will probably cater to younger readers.

Speaking of younger readers -- the subject matter in this book is obviously heavy. Even though it is labeled as YA, I think older, mature teens may be the audience that can handle the book. I wouldn't recommend it for younger students.

I can't wait to see where Cassie and the other Naturals go from here!

Rating 4/5