suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Gone Girl

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn This book is one of the biggest hits I never really had any intention of reading. For some reason, it just didn’t catch my attention enough to pick it up. Then, I saw the EW cover (it’s haunting!) and read the article where Ben Affleck talked about the author rewriting the third act for the movie. And something about those things intrigued me so much that it started an itch in my brain. So when I saw the audiobook at the library, I grabbed it up.

And to be honest, the first few disks were slow going. A few times I thought, “This book isn’t for me.” But, I persevered. It was background and trying to orient myself into the story of Nick and Amy. I tried not to make assumptions, since obviously this wasn’t going to be cut and dry (if it were, it wouldn’t be a mystery thriller people love reading!). Plus, there was a lot of cussing, so I had to listen to it in the car sans kids. I didn’t mind the language, but hearing it out loud over and over will definitely test your limits.

Before I knew it, something happened – I started thinking about the mystery and trying to figure out what was going on and where the story was going to go. All.the.time. I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Flynn has this amazing ability to give you the story in bits and pieces and you don’t even notice it is happening, but it is all an insane collection of layers that created this entire tangled mess. I finally had to quit listening to the audiobook and pick up the e-book, because I couldn’t get the story fast enough.

And then… part two.

For the rest of this review, visit Such a Novel Idea.