suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Such Sweet Sorrow

Such Sweet Sorrow - Jenny Trout For this review and more, visit Such a Novel Idea.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Take Romeo & Juliet, add Hamlet, and mix in some Greek and Norse mythology and you'll get Such Sweet Sorrow.

A couple of months ago, I really wasn't a fan of Shakespeare. (Yes, I know, I know that sounds crazy coming from an English Lit major). Before, I probably wouldn't have picked this book up. But that all changed when I took a Shakespeare class this fall -- it was challenging, but I came to appreciate his work. And it's no secret that I'm addicted to mythology and the paranormal. So this book kind of just called out to me.

Beyond the Shakespeare, I LOVED that Jenny used the story of Morpheus and Eurydice. This is one of my favorite myths, and one that usually is overshadowed by the Hades/Persephone myth, especially right now in YA. And what better couple to use than the end-all epic couple of all time - Romeo & Juliet.

It seems like a lot -- two of the most famous plays (Name one high school graduate in America that didn't study either Romeo&Juliet or Hamlet) crossing 'worlds'. That is enough to make the book interesting. So the paranormal aspects just added the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake.

First of all, the cover is gorgeous. Yes, it's another pretty girl in a pretty dress, BUT this one works with the theme of the book. And I really just loved the title.

From the first sentence of the prologue, I was glued to the story. Romeo somehow survives the poison, but is filled with grief and guilt over the death of Juliet. More so, he is worried that his wife is stuck in hell and cannot bear the thought that she will be tortured for eternity. He is willing to go wherever and do whatever it takes to free her. When a witch confirms she is in fact in that tortured agony, she sends Romeo to the kingdom "far north" with the recently murdered king. Enter Hamlet.

Hamlet was such an interesting character. Actually, they all were. I loved how Jenny took these stories and retold and intertwined them in such an interesting and fresh way. The characters were so well-developed and Jenny did a great job of bringing them to life beyond the famous plays.

I have to say what Jenny Trout did is pretty remarkable, because this story had a lot of potential to fail. There was just so much epic tale involved, that if not done right, it could have just been a disaster. But luckily, it was quite the opposite, leaving me a little breathless and wanting more.

Rating 4/5 stars