suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Far from You

Far from You - Tess Sharpe *I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Do you ever start a book and almost immediately just know that it is going to change your life? It doesn’t happen very often, but really early in this book, I had already made up my mind that this book was going to rock my world. And it did, even more so than I predicted.

Reading a book is never the same experience. The mood, time of day, setting, music all can play a huge role in how a book attaches to your psyche. Sometimes the stars align to create a perfect experience, and one such time was reading Far From You. Pandora was playing all the perfect music for the scene, and the thunder was humming in the background, and I was just in this reading bubble of bliss and heartbreak.

Because this book is full of that. Heartbreak, not bliss. The bliss comes from experiencing something magical. Tess Sharpe not only has an amazing ability to write and tell a story, but she has the ability to tell it in a way that leaves you breathless and wanting more.

This book was not linear – we go from present day to past every other chapter. And while this normally might be confusing or break the flow of the book up, Sharpe did it perfectly. We first see Sophie right now — how she is handling the past and trying to move forward. And at the end of every scene, we are swept up in a memory, a time from before her best friend has died. The scenes are sometimes helpful to what we just learned in the plot, and other times they are the whisper of a memory you might have if you were Sophie. It really puts you in the mind of the main character in a way I have only experienced a few times.

And feelings — you will feel everything in this book. I was having a physical feeling of pain just a few pages into the book. My heart hurt and there were times when I had to just put down the book and take a moment to compose myself. It was just that emotional and raw.

The book is full of secrets and layers and messy and tangles. I don’t know how she did it, but Sharpe made a stand alone book a contemporary, mental health, romance, mystery, and thriller all in one and didn’t make it overdone or trite. Everything fits together like perfect puzzle pieces.

I knew the book had romance, but the way Sharpe chose to layer in that romance was incredible. I can’t talk about all the things I want to talk about, because you really just have to experience it for yourself as a reader. I loved the choices Sharpe made, especially in the end. It was bold, real, and honest — and sure she could have taken another, easier route, but it wouldn’t have made quite the impact. And really, I should have known, because her Twitter bio kind of says it all.

This is the book I’ve been looking for all year. The book that would grab me and not let go even when the pages were done. I read the entire thing in less than three hours, but it will stay with me for a long time. Far From You is now my favorite book of 2014, and even though it is April, I don’t think it will fall down the ranks very easily. Tess Sharpe — I hope you are out there knee deep in some new work in progress. Because this world will be a dimmer place without more of your words in it.

For this review and more, visit Such a Novel Idea.

==========

Initial Thoughts:

This is my favorite book of 2014 so far.

Review to come after the tears dry.