suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

The Summer I Became a Nerd - Leah Rae Miller For more of my reviews, visit my blog Such A Novel Idea!

Why You Should Buy It

This book is full of nerdy goodness -- comic books, comic con, LARP'ing and more. And romance. Over comic books. I mean, I don't think I can sell it any better than that.

My Thoughts

*I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, courtesy of NetGalley*

First of all, I must say that if I knew Leah Rae Miller in real life, I imagine we would be the best of friends. All the nerdy-goodness of this book left me quite blissful. As a nerd when it wasn't cool to be a nerd, I've grown up on all the things our main character relishes in. And the voice of Maddie was just so likable. Yeah, we'd definitely be friends.

As far as the writing, I really liked it. The `voice' of our main character was so realistic -- I could actually picture having a conversation with this girl. And the story line, while maybe seeming to be one-dimensional, really made a great point. We suppress and hide who we are from the world, and for what? I know what it is like to be humiliated and laughed at like Maddie. I understand why she is the way she is when this book began. But I also have the luxury of being older and seeing that what seems so important when you are 16, always isn't. In the end, being true to who you are is most important to your happiness.

The romance was super cute, and I really liked where the story went. I really just loved everything about this book. It was like a big bag of cotton candy. And I could eat it all day long!

Overall

Four point five out of Five Stars