suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2)

Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2) - Colleen Hoover For more information, visit Such A Novel Idea!

Why You Should Buy It

If you thought it couldn’t get any better than Colleen Hoover’s Hopeless, you were wrong. This book is the epitome of grief, love, healing, and coming-of-age. Hoover’s ability to craft a story so devastating and beautiful is a rare and precious talent.

My Thoughts

*I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.*

“All those nights you held me and just let me cry . . . you have no idea how many
times you’ve already saved me.”

I’m not a note-taker when it comes to book reviews. I don’t like to lose the rhythm I get when I’m reading by writing something down. And normally I don’t do play-by-plays, because A) I think my review style is more of an overall impression (the kind of reviews I like to read) and B) I don’t want to accidentally spoil anything. However, this book made me stop and write down things. I have no idea why, but I felt compelled to make notes.

The first note I made: “Well, that has to be a record for book-induced tears — not even a whole chapter in. Someone tell me WHY I decided to start reading this in a public place!?”

And it goes on from there. I thought I knew what to expect from this book. I mean, we’d already seen everything from Sky’s point of view. I expected it to be very much like This Girl, which was more of a fill-in-the blanks book (which I loved! You can read my review here.)

Boy, was I wrong! This book honestly could have been a stand-alone. The overlap was minimal and was in all the right places. For the first time in a series, I did NOT re-read Hopeless, and I’m glad I didn’t. I got to see Holder’s perspective with fresh eyes. And I loved every.single.minute. of it. This book was heart-breaking in a much different way from Hopeless. Sure, we got the specifics of Holder’s grief, but in Losing Hope we really get inside his head a see what kind of turmoil is going on that leads him to where he was when he met Sky.

I loved seeing the best friend (Daniel) and how he interacted with Holder. Every single new character (and even those we saw before) were perfect for the role they played in the story. Colleen perfectly created characters that helped drive the story where it needed to go.

“I let everything I’m seeing sink in because this is what I want to remember the most. I want to remember exactly what she looks like the second she hands over a piece of her heart.”

For me, the best parts of this book weren’t the intimate moments. I mean, I already experienced those. No, for me the intricate details of Holder’s emotions, and what led him to make the decisions he did, not only helped me understand his character better, but really completed the story for me.

You’ll find yourself holding your breath, mopping up tears with industrial size tissues, and even laughing at the power of a good friend. But most of all, your heart will break for these two precious souls as they knit the pieces back together.

“Time has completely stopped, and all I’m thinking about while we kiss is how this is what saves people. Moments like these with people like her are what make all the sufferings worth it.”

Overall

Six out of Five Stars