suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover For more of my reviews, visit my blog Such A Novel Idea!

Why You Should Buy It

Just like the first book in this series, this book is quite amazing -- Colleen Hoover knows just how to reel you in, rip your heart out, and give it back to you slowly, one page at a time. I have yet to read something by Hoover I haven't immediately loved.

My Thoughts

*I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, courtesy of NetGalley*

I read Slammed, Point of Retreat, and half of This Girl in one day. ONE DAY. That's how much I enjoyed the series. This book in some ways was so much of an emotional toll on me than Slammed. The plot twists were also a little bit more visible, but gut-twisting none the less.

There is just something about Hoover's writing. Even though this book switches voices (from Lakeyn to Will), I never found myself uncomfortable or trying to switch from one to the other. It was also nice to be in Will's head, we got a few glimpses into the past from his perspective.

I felt like this book was the meat of the story -- it really fleshed out book one's premises. Where Slammed set up this relationship, Point of Retreat dug in and looked at some of the harsh realities. Not everything is a fairy tale, and Point of Retreat really showed us that. The trials that Will and Lakeyn face in this book cements their love, and cemented my love of the series.

The characters in this book were so amazing. I found myself wishing I could live on that lane with those people, enjoying the unconventional family they forged. The love they all gained really made the book for me. And Kiersten was seriously the best 11 year old! I would be proud to be her mom!

While this book didn't have the drastic surprises book one did, it was still well worth the read. I wholeheartedly recommend this book series to anyone who enjoys new adult or contemporary romance.

Overall

Four out of Five Stars