suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Starcrossed - Josephine Angelini For more, check out my blog http://suchanovelidea.wordpress.com

Why You Should Buy It

This book is full of Greek mythology and love, loss, starcrossed lovers, and tragedy. It isn’t all happy romances, but gut-wrenching events at the hands of the Fates themselves. A beautiful, modern interweaving of mythology, adventure, supernatural events, and romance. The world-building is exciting and the characters are spellbinding!

My Thoughts

Do you ever have a book in your t0-read pile for months or years? Yeah, I have a lot of those. For one reason or another, it sits there unread, until it goes on sale. That’s what happened with Starcrossed. After reading Solstice by P.J. Hoover, I became fascinated by Greek mythology re-tellings. (Esp. Persephone Hades). But this book was a bit different and for some reason, that one detail kept it in the TBR pile. BUT, I got lucky and the book went on sale for $2.99, since the last book in the series debuts on May 28th. So I figured it was time to try it out.

And I was overwhelmed with feelings of annoyance for waiting so long and happiness that I finally got to experience this gem! The book is several things: enchanting, refreshing, and longer than your average YA book. All these things, coupled with an amazing story-line and writing, left me wanting SO much more. This retelling focuses more on the people and demigods of Greek history and mythology — and less on the gods themselves. That in itself made it stand out from all the books I’ve read in this genre lately.

The first thing that made this book different is Helen’s responses to the ‘new’ family in town. I was expecting this Twilight-moment where the main protagonist is immediately drawn to this family. And I got the complete opposite. Everything in Helen is annoyed and repulsed by the mysterious rich strangers that everyone else is enamored by. You expect two YA protagonists to full in love upon first sight. SO, I was blown away when the sight of Lucas invoked murderous rage in Helen. I mean, c’mon that is definitely outside the YA formula story progression.

Other things about this book were refreshing — the plot line wasn’t predictable, the story had so many ups and downs that you didn’t expect, and it was long enough to really flesh out some intricate modern explanations for Greek myths and tragedies. And even though thhis book was full of romance, there was so much more going on and that kept the pace going.

There are still some moments typical of YA paranormal romance. But, I think the story that the author paints takes this book to another level. And I for one am definitely ready to find out more!

Overall

Five out of Five Stars