suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Insomnia - J.R. Johansson See the full review here: http://suchanovelidea.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/insomnia-book-review/

Why You Should Buy It

This is one book I recommend pre-ordering. I very rarely pre-order a first book in a series, but this is one I feel confident you won’t be disappointed by. It is a mix of mystery, paranormal, and has a guy protagonist. Perfect for anyone who loves YA paranormal.

My Thoughts

*I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, courtesy of NetGalley*

This book. Seriously, THIS book.

First of all, let’s talk about the cover. It is creeptastic and makes me think of haunted houses and the Blair Witch Project. Then, there’s the synopsis. I, as someone who was diagnosed with insomnia, thought I understood what it was like to not sleep at all for days and be confused and past the point of exhaustion. But, I’ve got nothing on poor Parker.

The book started off just where you’d think — Parker can’t sleep and has to endure the dream of someone whose done horrible things. So in addition to not being able to rest, he has to face other people’s worst nightmares (literally).

So the book has a mystery, something that keeps you guessing until the very end. I literally had no clue what was going to happen, and felt as confused as Parker did. An author who can do that is amazing in my book.

Then there is the fact that it is a male protagonist. Although I’m not a guy, I could definitely see a difference between a female perspective. It is refreshing to see the ‘other’ side of young adult literature. We definitely could use more of these!

Another aspect is the relationships. Obviously, without spoilers I can’t tell you who likes who. But what I CAN say is Johansson goes out of the box with her story line and relationships. It isn’t the scripted formulaic pattern you see over and over. So refreshing!

This book reminded me a LOT of P.T. Michelle’s Brightest Kind of Darkness. Boy sees people’s dreams with contact (Ethan’s is physical contact, where Parker’s is sight). Girl helps (inadvertently) boy’s nightmares turn to good dreams. And the paranormal craziness that ensues. There is also a lot of hints at Dexter. Not the serial killer experience, but Dexter has a darkness that he attributes to killing and that ‘other’ part of himself is something we see as Parker de-evolves throughout the book.

I literally could not put this book down and I can’t believe I’m going to have to wait at least a year to find out what happens next.

Overall

Four point five out of Five Stars