suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Skinny Bitch in Love - Kim Barnouin Read this and more at suchanovelidea.wordpress.com!

Why You Should Buy It

This new book by Kim Barnouin, co-author of NY Times bestseller Skinny Bitch, is fast-paced, quirky fun. SBIL is a clever, laugh out loud look at what it is like to lose it all and build it all back, with a dash of romance and will make this summer’s perfect beach read.

My Thoughts

*I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, courtesy of NetGalley*

What a perfect summer read for 2013! I downloaded this on NetGalley never having heard of the books or cookbooks previously released. It isn’t something I would normally find myself reading, but I was hooked by page two. Clementine (or Clem) is smart, wickedly funny, and has her head on straight. She knows what she wants and she doesn’t let something like a co-worker’s attempt to ruin her career get her down.

Beyond the ‘beach read’ fun, Clem is a dynamic character — she is passionate, self-sacrificing, works hard for what she wants, and cleverly turns her motto of ‘cutting the crap out of my life’ into a brand and empire. She doesn’t let people walk all over her, has a backbone, and has many opportunities to take ‘the easy way out’, but refuses. Girl power to the n’th degree!

Of course, there is some romance too. Clem finds herself falling for her true opposite. The two are firecrackers together and don’t work as often as they do. Sometimes they seemed to have the same argument over and over, but it was refreshing to see a relationship that wasn’t over done on the nauseatingly unrealistic romance. Both characters were flawed and made mistakes.

Overall, I found myself giggling and hungry. Seriously, the food Barnouin describes sounds amazing. As a child of parents who were vegans for several years, and the sister of a current vegan, I love that Clem made such diverse items and made them drool worthy! I’ve already recommended this to my sister for ideas she can incorporate into her daily menus. Since the copy I read was an ARC, I’m adding this book to my list of books to add to my shelf.

Overall

Four out of Five Stars