suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner For this review and more, please visit Such a Novel Idea.

Why You Should Buy It

This Titantic meets Shades of Earth is a combination of all things to love in YA. A blend of old world and future, it will leave readers spellbound. The book is smart, mysterious, and will make a sci-fi fan out of anyone who happens across it. If you're looking for the next big thing, pick up These Broken Stars -- you won't regret it.

My Thoughts

*I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.*

Let's all just take a moment to stare at the gorgeousness that is that cover. Seriously! The first time I saw it, I had no idea what the book was about, but I knew I had to read it. So of course finding out it is basically my favorite kind of book was just icing on the cake. The beautiful stars, the way that PERFECT green dress just billows out into space, and two people reaching desperately for one another. <3

I've also got to take a moment to thank Disney-Hyperion for so graciously providing the ARC. This is probably the most excited I've been about receiving a book on Netgalley. I may or may not have done an embarrassing happy dance in public. (And by may or may not I mean I definitely did.) Of course, the entire time I was reading, I kept having to go back and just stare at the beautiful cover. Le sigh.

So, as you may have heard this book is like Titanic in space. And we all know what happens to the unsinkable ship. Except in this case, the unsinkable ship is a ship pulled out of hyperspace. Thanks to some quick thinking of Tarver and Lilac's ingenuity, the two are able to make it to a pod and crash land on a nearby planet. They come to find they are the lucky ones on board this ship of 50,000.

Lilac and Tarver are from two different worlds. She is the daughter of the richest man in the world, a man who doesn't want any guys near his daughter. So of course, after a chance meeting where they are definitely sparks, Lilac must pretend she couldn't care less about Tarver's attention. They get into a few skirmishes that of course leaves them at odds and provides tension for most of the book. I swear, if people communicated, 75% of the books I read wouldn't exist. But we humans just love to not communicate our true feelings and we LOVE to assume what other people think and feel.

I felt like this book picked up where Beth Revis' Shades of Earth ended. Here we have this uninhabited planet that is fully able to sustain life. With of course weird creatures and things that go bump in the night. I have to admit there were times I was seriously creeped out and had to hide under the covers. We know there is something there, but we have no idea what and Kaufman and Spooner do a fabulous job of giving the reader just enough to be intrigued and frightened at the same time.

For me this book was just perfection. It was everything I love in a book: space, new worlds, a bit of mystery, beautiful descriptions, and a really great love story. The world Kaufman and Spooner builds is absolutely incredible, and so realistic I could see everything as Lilac and Tarver were living it (and I'm NOT a visual person at all!) And the twist, the big reveal, was really just brilliant. It is so smart, so subtle that you don't see the plot set out in front of you until you are right up on the events.

The book made me smile, laugh, cry, and REALLY cry. I broke down for awhile. It took up all my attention and I really just didn't want it to end. At one point, I woke up from a dead sleep, because I just had to know what happened next. Few books have sucked me into the story the way this one did.

There are books that we all love to talk about to everyone we meet. For me, one of those books is These Broken Stars. I am recommending it to anyone and everyone and I know it is going to be a major hit - which is why I'm so thrilled and honored to be in on the ground floor. I said it when I finished reading and I truly mean it: This book is my absolute favorite of the year and is now in my top ten favorites of all time. So, I'm serious when I say, you've GOT to get this book!

Rating

SIX out of five stars

-------
This is one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time. And is by far my favorite of 2013.

Review to come!

Overall: SIX out of five stars

-----