suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

Goodbye, Rebel Blue - Shelley Coriell For this review and more, visit Such A Novel Idea.

"You Rebel Blue, are anything but ordinary."

There are books that you know are going to be incredible.  Whether it is the title, the synopsis, or the cover, there is just some spark that pulls you in.  This, my friends, was one of those books.

I expected Rebel to know the girl she was completing the bucket list for.  I expected a lot of things; but Shelley Coriell surprised me in a lot of ways.  Good ways!  The emotions I felt didn't come from the death of the girl (Kennedy) or from the completion of the tasks: the emotions I felt came from Rebel herself.  Things that Rebel experienced and went through and felt made my heart physically hurt.  I sobbed a lot during this book.  But it was for the character that was alive, and feeling, and trying to get a place in this world.

I loved that Rebel was such a dynamic character and personality.  She has a real chip on her shoulder, which isn't all that hard to believe considering life hasn't really done her any favors.  And yet, as she goes through this amazing change, she still remains true to herself and who she is as a person.  I loved how she kept having to explain to everyone how she was just trying to do something good.  It really showed how we get stuck on how people are and don't see when they can change for the better.

The back-story add ins were so natural.  I hate when we see things looking back like they do in sitcoms... Where the cheesy music comes on and everyone looks off into the distance.  You know what I'm talking about!  But Shelley did a fabulous job and mixing past and present.

So, remember when I said I soak in some of the personality of the character I'm reading?  Well, Rebel convinced me to dye my hair red. Like, really, really red.  It's something I have wanted to do for YEARS, but was always so afraid to do.  And then she convinced me.  And guess what, it is bold, and vibrant, and I.am.in.love.  So thank you, Rebel.  Thank you so much.

The bottom line is: this book is deep, not what I was expecting, and was so much more.  It will make you think, make you cry, and make you fall in love with the girl who marches to her own 275-member-band.

"The more time you spend thinking about something, the deeper it gets into your heart."

Rebel, you definitely got into my heart.

Rating