suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

CHAOS (Kardia Chronicles, #1)

CHAOS (Kardia Chronicles, #1) - Christine O'Neil For this review & more, visit Such A Novel Idea.

Why You Should Buy It

A fresh twist on an ancient story, Chaos will make you laugh, tear up, and fall in love with this descendant of the goddess of love herself.

My Thoughts

*I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review via the author/publisher.*

I may sound like a broken record, but I will say it again — I.LOVE.GREEK.MYTHOLOGY. I especially love when they are folded into a contemporary story. I’m pretty big on the Persephone/Hades love quandary, so this one was a bit different for me. Maggie is a descendant of Aphrodite, a semi-god. The closest I’ve read to this is the Starcrossed series. In a lot of ways Helen and Maggie are the same — they unexpectedly find out they have these powers when they are in their teens, no one really is there to teach them about who they are, and they are both threats in some ways. However, Chaos goes in a much different direction as far as mythology is concerned. And it does draw back into that contemporary/teen setting, where we are experiencing a lot of day-to-day with Maggie, Mac, and the other characters.

Right off the bat, I could tell I was going to love this book. Maggie is HILARIOUS and had such a genuine personality. I could tell O’Neil poured her heart into the character. She made me laugh, but deeper than that, she made me care about her. She had a no-nonsense attitude that I respected and was just the right touch of goddess and human.

The writing was natural and will connect well with teens. There was a lot of reference to pop-culture, which I loved, because it really grounded the story (again) in the day-to-day. The writing also was just witty and conversational — I felt like I was looking into a friend tell me a story. The drama in the story is a great blend of greek goddess major issues and normal teenage drama. It really made the book seem more genuine. Of course the back and forth of Mac and Maggie was a bit eyerolly, because of course we could FEEL the tension between the two. That, however, is normal in teen romance. Everyone else sees what the ‘couple’ doesn’t.

I SHOULD have seen the end coming, it is one that happens a lot in these types of books. I hope, much like some other series, there will be a good resolution in future books.

To me, the cover wasn’t really getting the essence of Maggie. Maggie was sexy in a non-descript way — with her tshirts, jeans, and vans. I know they like to sex it up for covers, but I don’t think we really got “Maggie” from that. I do like how she isn’t wearing make-up.

Did I like it? YES. Will I be sticking with the series? SO MUCH YES! The series brought something fresh to the Greek myth retelling and I’m really excited to have had the opportunity to read and review the book.

Overall 4/5 stars