suchanovelidea

Such A Novel Idea

15 Minutes (The Rewind Series)

15 Minutes - Jill  Cooper For this review and more, visit Such A Novel Idea.

Holy cannoli, this book sure did blow me away! We are thrown directly into the action almost as soon as the book begins. Within just a few pages, we see Lara complete what she sets out to do -- use fifteen minutes in the past to save her mom. So then what?

Well, it is a classic case of 'be careful what you wish for'. Lara finds the world she expected with her mom alive is MUCH different than she imagined. Her boyfriend and father, two people she loved most in her previous life suddenly aren't in the picture anymore. She has to navigate through her new world trying to put the pieces of her life back together.

The complications and tangled web that the time travel creates is just plain ooey-gooey goodness. It's like eating a homemade cinnamon roll right out of the oven -- the package kind can never compare. I did keep saying "oi, that's going to create a paradox", so obviously I've been watching too many time travel shows (coughdoctorwhocough), but I loved that it was almost too confusing to figure out. Time travel is SUPPOSED to be mind boggling.

I really enjoyed the character of Lara. She was smart and thought on her feet, but she was still a teenager who made mistakes. I loved how Cooper described the mind-meld of the two timelines Lara was in. How the memories almost downloaded into her brain, making the two realities bleed into one another. How she instinctively knew how to do some things in her new timeline, just because that was her innate behavior, versus learning the truth through the memories. And then the losing the old memories as the new memories became reality. I just can't contemplate having a memory of something that I never actually was present for. I definitely get why it causes your brain to bleed!

There was some romance in the book, but it was minimal, never really detracting from the story. I think in this instance the love triangle was absolutely warranted and think things played out perfectly.

The synopsis calls this book "high octane" and that is really the perfect way to describe it. The fast-pace never slows down and you will find yourself wrapped up in the middle of the story almost immediately. The book goes beyond science fiction, into a thrilling mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat. Oh and, can we just mention that beautiful cover for a moment. Fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to see more from Cooper.

4.5/5 stars